- About God: We believe there is one God who is the Creator and the Ruler of the universe (Gen. 1:1). He eternally exists in three persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (Matt. 28:19).
- About Jesus Christ: We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, in his virgin birth (Matt. 1:23), his sinless life (Heb. 4:15; 7:26), his atoning death on the cross (1 Cor. 15:3), his resurrection on the third day (John 11:25; 1 Cor. 15:4), and that He will return again to reign as Lord of lords (Acts 1:11; 1 Tim. 6:13-16).
- About the Holy Spirit: We believe in the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit that empowers each Christian to live a godly life (Rom. 8:11). The body of each believer is a “temple” in which the Holy Spirit is present (1 Cor. 6:19-20). Therefore, every believer must foster a life of being filled with the Spirit, which is both an initial and an ongoing experience for Christians (Ephesians 5:18). The Holy Spirit provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, guidance in doing what is right and spiritual gifts to edify the church.
- About the Bible: We believe that the entire Bible is the inspired, infallible and inerrant Word of God and that men were moved by the Spirit to write the books of Scripture (2 Pet 1:20-21). The words of the Bible are the primary source for teaching and equipping Christians for a life of righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16-17).
- About Humanity: We believe that human beings were created in the image of God to have fellowship with Him (Gen. 1:26), but became alienated from that relationship through sinful disobedience (Gen. 3). As a result, humanity is totally incapable of coming back into a right relationship with God by one’s own effort.
- About Salvation: We believe that the shed blood of Jesus Christ on the cross solely provides for the forgiveness of sins (Mark 10:45). Therefore, salvation is received only when a person places his faith in the death and resurrection of Christ as the sufficient payment for one’s acknowledged sin (Acts 2:38). This salvation is not earned but a gift available by the grace of God alone (Eph. 2:8-9).
- About the Christian Life: We believe that for every Christian the old way of living for oneself is in the past and the new way of living for Christ is for the present and for the future (2 Cor. 5:17). By obedience to the Scriptures and daily yielding to the Spirit we will mature and become conformed to the image of Christ, which should be exhibited by love for God and for one’s neighbor (Matt. 22:37-39).
- About the Church: We believe that the church is the body of Christ, of which Jesus is the Head (Col. 1:18). The purpose of the church is to gather believers to glorify God by being a powerful witness for Jesus Christ in a lost world (Matt. 28:18-20). God wants to edify and build up His church, this is why the Holy Spirit gives a variety of spiritual gifts to believers such as—encouragement, serving, teaching, healing, prophecy, etc. (Romans 12, I Cor. 12,) We practice two ordinances in the church instituted by Christ Himself: water baptism (Luke 3:21-22) and Holy Communion (Luke 22:14-20).
- About Healing: We believe that Christ’s power to heal, evident in the Gospels, is available to all believers today through his atoning sacrifice (Isaiah 53:4-5) The church is to lay hands on the sick, anoint them with oil, and pray faithfully for their recovery (James 5:14-15).
- About the Future: We believe that Christians who have died will be reunited with those still alive at the second coming of Jesus Christ (1 Thess. 4:16-17). This event will be followed by the millennial reign of Christ (Rev. 20:1-6), a final judgment (Rev. 20:11-15), and the appearance of a new heaven and a new earth (Rev. 21-22).
The AG is a worldwide group of churches held together in relationship, committed to training leaders, planting churches and reaching the nations. There are fellowships in over 200 countries across the world who are affiliated with the Assemblies of God with approximately three million believers worshipping together in churches here in the USA. You can find out more about the history of the AG by visiting their website.
Monterey Bay Christian Center is part of the Assemblies of God because:
- We value relationship and believe as a church we can achieve more by being in relationship with other like-minded churches than we can on our own.
- We value accountability and believe, as a church, we can benefit by from being in relationship with other like-minded churches and spiritual leaders.
- We value people and believe as a church we can empower individuals, train leaders and send people more effectively by being part of a wider movement.
As followers of Christ, we believe our first and foremost mission is to love people unconditionally and to share God's love with everyone. Genuine compassion and empathy must always guide everything we say and do.
We also believe in the authority of Scripture and its right to speak into our lives with clarity and conviction. As part of the Assemblies of God, we have several "position papers" available which explain our Biblical positions on sensitive cultural and theological topics. You can access those papers by clicking on the individual links below.
- Assurance of Salvation
- Baptism in the Holy Spirit
- Church Mission and Peacemaking
- Homosexuality, Marriage and Sexual Identity
- Sanctity of Human Life: Abortion & Reproductive Issues
- Transgenderism, Transsexuality and Gender Identity
You can find links to position papers on other topics by clicking HERE.